Have you ever had to use a tire sealant to fix a leak? Many of us have seen commercials for a number of products that can seal a puncture by simply injecting the solution through the valve hole. We weigh the pros and cons of those convenient repair products.
Most of us grew up hearing about aerosol tire sealants. They promised convenience for motorists stranded by a flat tire. These products inflate a flat tire while injecting sealant through the valve hole. Over the years, other products have come on the market to be used in conjunction with a traditional air compressor for emergency needs. It is important to remember these products are designed to be a fix and not intended to replace a proper repair.
- Most sealant manufacturers claim that their product will not harm Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) sensors, which are the electronics inside your tire that transmit the air pressure to your dashboard readout.
- If the sealant works, you are able to move to a safer location without having to immediately change the tire.
- Many new vehicles don’t have a spare, but rely on these products solely.
- Easy to purchase and use.
- If this port were to get sealed up, the pressure inside the sensor would remain constant and not warn the driver of low tire pressure.
- Some sealants are corrosive, so you must have this tire removed from the wheel and properly cleaned and inspected as soon as possible.
- The wheel itself needs to be rinsed and cleaned to prevent corrosion and possibly leaking in the future. Expect to pay for this cleanup because it does take a while.
- In the event of a sensor failure after using these products, warranty claims may be an issue.
- Also, some tire manufacturers will void the limited warranty if the sealant renders the tire unserviceable.
Now you know the pros and cons of using aerosol tire sealants. If you need to get out of a dangerous situation, they may be a good idea. However, if you can wait for a proper repair, it can save you money in the long run.
If you experience a flat, call your local Go Tire professional. We’ll come to you and get you rolling again.